Re: consultant entries that will be removed unless they "pong"

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 10:57:13AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Why not? It made as much sense as claiming that merely being listed
> > on that page creates a conflict of interest. Not all interests are
> > in conflict or should disqualify one from a discussion.
>
> As someone listed on the page you have a vested interest in making the list
> as short as possible.  That means more potential customers clicking on
> *your* link.  If you do not believe that this is a conflict of interest, then
> you should at least be aware that others participating in the discussion
> could see it as one.

As Marc Haber wrote, the length of list can be interpreted as
the strength of support, so I also have an interest in making
that list as long as possible, in order to increase the overall
market size, even if it makes debian seem better supported
than it really is. I don't care about who else is on the list,
actually: I'm good enough that enough reasonable people who
find out about me will choose me ahead of other consultants,
regardless of who is listed. (If I didn't believe that, I'd
not be using my current (successful) approach.)

In short, there is no direct conflict of interest for a
consultant in this discussion (we don't pay nor get paid
for listing) and the indirect ones pull in all directions.
Anyone who promotes debian in any way probably has as bad a
conflict of interest in this discussion as most consultants,
and narrower experience of interacting with customers.

> > Sure. As complete as possible, not more complete than reality.
>
> Agreed, except that we're not talking about reality, we're talking about
> marketing.  The best consultants are not necessarily the ones who advertise
> for a particular distro.

Sure. I still think some level of content filtering might be useful
at some point in the future, to demote MS-only shops and so on.

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/