Re: consultant entries that will be removed unless they "pong"

Marc Haber <mh+debian-project@zugschlus.de> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 05:26:53PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
>> Yes thats what I thought should be prevented. In my opinion
>> every website on the consultants page should clearly point
>> to debian.
>
> That's your opinion. I beg to differ. For example, you might have a
> consultancy company that does, as a policy, not link to any products
> they sell and support. Why should Debian demand to be listed there?

Why should Debian *advertise* the services of someone who will not
return the favour?

In fact, why should anyone use a consultant who is not willing to admit
the systems and services they support? Seems like a pretty odd decision.

> In my opinion, it is good for Debian to have a consultants list as
> long as possible - it shows that the distribution is actually being
> used, and gives good arguments against people who say that Debian is
> not supported as well as SuSE and RedHat.

Length is not the only virtue.

In fact, it may be counter-productive - if you *need* a Debian
consultant, pick a couple of random consultants from a long list and
find they don't mention Debian on their website, then you are inclined
to reject the *whole* list as useless.

As the kind of person who uses the Debian Consultant list as part of the
company risk-management strategy, I *need* them to say "Debian" on the
web page. After all, the risk I'm managing is the one where I won't be
able to explain this kind of thing to everyone else :-<

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml