Re: consultant entries that will be removed unless they "pong"

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 02:07:34AM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> I get your point, but Debian is putting *commercial business* their
> way, and attaching to their business a notional imprint of Debian
> approval. If they cannot face acknowledging that people may come to them
> because of this, then perhaps they should be buying advertising space
> instead?

The point is that we shouldn't impose stupid restrictions that we have no
chance in hell of enforcing anyway.

re: your point about "commercial businesses", we give "commercial
businesses" software every day without asking for anything in return --
software that they not only don't have to pay license fees for, but which
also gives them access to almost effortless upgrades and security patches.
All for free.  In fact, this is one of Debian's founding and guiding
principles (non-discrimination against fields of endeavor).

To impose stupid restrictions like this on other services we provide, just
because they aren't software, would be hypocritical at best.

I must say, it's amazing how quickly people's tunes change around here when
sixty bucks an hour is at stake.  If your name is on that consultants list
and you're arguing for a restriction like this, (or, for that matter, any
rule or restriction that might get other listings removed, but not yours),
you should at least consider the conflict of interest that creates, and if
necessary, recuse yourself from the discussion.

--Adam