Re: consultant entries that will be removed unless they "pong"

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 09:30:46AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > That's a lot of DDs you're trying to exclude from the discussion.
> > If you're arguing about this restriction and you ever use debian
> > or suggest it to anyone, you should consider that conflict of interest
> > and leave the discussion...
>
> I don't see how that logically follows.  Anyone who is not listed on the
> consultants page has no conflict of interest in this discussion, as far as I
> can tell, whether they use Debian or not. [...]

Why not? It made as much sense as claiming that merely being listed
on that page creates a conflict of interest. Not all interests are
in conflict or should disqualify one from a discussion.

> I'm trying to approach this from the perspective of a Debian user who is
> perusing the consultants list in search of a Debian consultant. [...]

Are you such a user? I suspect a lot of consultants have direct
contact with such users and could offer good opinions on what they're
looking for in a listings service. Your attempt to construct a model
is interesting and probably useful but just a model.

> [...] The bottom line
> is that Debian should be providing as complete a list as possible, without
> imposing a lot of red tape and restrictions on the consultants.

Sure. As complete as possible, not more complete than reality.

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
(Also a conflict of interest^W^W^Wconsultant for hire.)