Re: Bits from the ftpmasters

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:00:13 +0100, Anthony Towns wrote:
> martin f krafft wrote:
>> There are people
>> who want information from you, and those people have a right to this
>> information because it is *our* project, not yours.
>
> You have absolutely no right to demand /anything/ of me, /at all/. What
> you get from me is precisely that which I choose to give; and when
> you're actively insulting me, that's absolutely nothing.

I'll try to address a question of principle here; I don't want this to
be interpreted as making a comment on any individual's conduct.

I think that mfk's request for information (quoted) was addressed to ajt
as an ftpmaster, not as a private person.

With a position of responsibility come, erm, responsibilities.  This goes
as much for the position of package maintainer as it does for the
position of ftpmaster.  That Debian is a volunteer project does not change
that.  Also, the fact that some people make the fulfilment of one's duties
unpleasant does not absolve him of his responsibilities.

Because Debian is a volunteer project it is always possible to shed
responsibility, but the way to do it is to resign one's position.

--
Thomas Hood