Re: Bits from the ftpmasters

also sprach Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [2005.02.17.1307 +0100]:
> Can you possibly conceive there might perhaps be some other
> explanation for why I'm not writing tediously long emails or
> involved in heated debates about what changes to the archive
> should or shouldn't happen?

Sure I can; which is why I wanted to discuss APT 0.6 outside of the
"hostile environment"

> Because I've done that in the past,

Yeah? When?

> and all it results is people saying "ah, well, being insulting at
> worst has no drawbacks, and at best prods those idiots into some
> action; let's be insulting more often".

Be pro-active then! Don't wait for the insults. Send information
before they come in.

> For that matter, I'd be interested to see where Joey or others started
> out by calling you a member of a cabal,

To my knowledge, noone did.

I am not even sure what you are trying to say. If I were a member of
the cabal, then you would talk to me differently? If I were a member
of the cabal, then you would insult me no more than you expect me to
insult you?

I find it somewhat disturbing that the cabal even exists. Is Debian
a two-class society? Many people are by far more experienced with
the inner workings of Debian, and thus they hold positions of
influence. However, all the cabal does it prevent other people, who
did not have the chance of building up the Debian imperium, from
gaining this experience so that they may one day step up the ladder
and take over the influential positions.

Stop taking this personal, for $DEITY's sake, aj. There are people
who want information from you, and those people have a right to this
information because it is *our* project, not yours. Give it to them.
Instead, you harp on how we all have no social competence and bash
and insult wherever we can.

How about fixing the problem at the root, rather than fighting
symptoms?

`. `'`