Re: Debian, lists and discrimination

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:47:45AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> Selon Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org>:
> > On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:29:40PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> > > Evidence. I would like to see evidence that Debian has not been giving
> > > equal rights to males and women over the past years.
> >
> > The fact that our male / female participation ratio is much lower than even
> > the gender split in IT, let alone the wider community should be enough.
>
> It is fact, not evidence. You cannot conclude it comes from discrimination.

You can't conclude it doesn't, either.  We have several women on this list
who are saying that they want to get involved in Debian, but for various
reasons they don't feel comfortable doing so.

> What if women don't want to spend their spare time in computing
> activities?

Do you *really* think that's the case?  I knew several women at University
who were quite keen to spend their leisure time in computing activities,
we've got several women on this list, and I can't think of any intrinsic
reason why women would not get involved in computing activities in their
spare time.  Can you?

> > Just because it doesn't say "no wheelchairs" at the door, doesn't mean those
> > stairs aren't going to be a pain in the arse to get up.
>
> You *still* haven't come with evidence. For example, you could point us
> to where in the NM process there is discrimination (of course, not about the
> silly he/she wordings war).

There have been several places in which issues have been identified in the
NM process, by the people affected by it -- issues of not having any "feel"
for what really, actually goes on (hence Frank Lichtenheld's recent
description of his entry into Debian), and documentation which could be
clearer.  Is that a good enough start?

- Matt