Re: Debian, lists and discrimination

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 05:50:46PM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:41:33AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >>What is left unexamined in all these discussions is why Debian (as a
> >>project) should be doing anything to tackle inequalities?
> >
> >Because there's a whole pile of potential contributors out there that we're
> >almost certainly driving away.
>
> The burden of evidence is on you.  I'd like to see your proofs.

How about statements from the people who have decided not to participate
because of the culture?  How many would convince you?

> >As to the barriers to involvement in Debian by women, it's pretty obvious
> >that our gender participation ratio is decidedly different to that of the
> >IT
> >industry in general, let alone the general population.  I believe (although
> >I'd find it harder to back up with real numbers) that our female / male
> >participation ratio is also lower than participation in the wider OSS
> >world.
>
> That isn't evidence of discrimination against women, only evidence that
> men and women have differing interests.  I know that ideologically you
> are committed to the view that women should have penises, so I don't
> expect good logic based on real facts to make any dint in your attempts
> to remake Debian in the mould of your ideology du jour.

Put *down* the crack pipe.  Really.  It'll do both you and the rest of the
world a lot of good.

The amount of shit that manages to dribble down your chin and onto your
keyboard is truly astounding.

I'd try and point out the number of fallacies in your paragraph above, but
to be perfectly honest with you, I just couldn't be bothered.  You won't
actually read anything I write except to work out some way to spew another
load of your own ideological bullshit.

- Matt