 > > X11/Xt
 > > X11/Xt/Xaw
 > > X11/Xt/Motif
 > > X11/Gtk+
 > > X11/Gtk+/GNOME
 > > X11/Qt
 > > X11/Qt/KDE
 > > X11/Tk
 >
 > I wuld suggest to use a syntax like this in the Packages file:
 >
 > Interface: tty (stdio, dialog), X11 (Xt, Qt)

Problem I see: we can't sub-classify Xaw and Motif from Xt with such a
syntax.

 > The main interfaces seperated by commas and subtypes in brackets.
 > Also Interfaces none, net/html and such, ggi, svga and tty/aa should
 > be included. Anything I forgot?

"things" with interface net/html falls into the "server" nature, and
probably declaring this would not be useful in the packaging system.

"UserInterface: none" is a pure contradiction IMHO.  At least error
messages have to reported in some way.

OK for ggi, svga and tty/aa - just noticed I forgot X/DGA.

...and there are probably tens or hundreds of toolkits (eg. wings) in
the dist which we did not mention - but is this really worth at all ?
Probably if we decide to go this way, only the major UIs will be
listed, minor ones may fall into "other" as examplified below:

Update:

tty
tty/stdio
tty/curses
tty/dialog
tty/newt
tty/asciiArt
tty/other
X11
X11/Xt
X11/Xt/Xaw
X11/Xt/Motif
X11/Xt/other
X11/Gtk+
X11/Gtk+/GNOME
X11/Qt
X11/Qt/KDE
X11/Tk
X11/DGA
X11/other
ggi
svgalib

 > I also think that the interface should not show up on the layout of
 > the debian file structure (ftp/cdrom). People looking for a package to
 > do something don´t so much care for the interface as long as it does
 > the job. For other cases where the interface matters the Interface
 > value from the Packages file can be used in a frontend.

Seconded.

 > Maybe program should be split up further into stuff like games and
 > such.

In my mind "games" is still a section - eg. you'll find clanlib as
"Nature: lib; Section: games".

 > Also where do windowmanagers go?

X11 - windowmanagers are really components of the X11 GUI.  They're
already in this section and I'm happy with that.

 > I would like sections for games, graphics, utils
We already have them.
 > interfaces.

Hm... X11 has its own.  Maybe it could be ui/x11, and other UI stuff
ggi and Tk would fall under ui, ui/x11 or ui/other unless we decide
there are enough packages to create eg. ui/ggi.

 > > 2. UserInterface: A list of ways the programs in the package interact
 > > with their users.  Possible values are to be defined by policy,
 > > examples are given at the top of this mail.
 > >
 > > 3. Section: [As the current packaging manual says] the Section
 > > represents an application area into which the package has been
 > > classified.
 >
 > Those should be for frontends only, i.e. in the Packages.gz and
 > controll.tar.gz.

As would "Nature" IMHO - where else would you see it used ?

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
debian-email:   <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: