Re: Lombard booting Debian Ports 2020-04-19 (was Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19)

Hi Stan!

On 4/23/20 9:32 PM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:

>> To me, the "draw-rectangle" message suggests that Open Firmware on the
>> Lombard is too old for whatever Forth commands GRUB is trying to use.
>>
>> I haven't used GRUB in quite a while except on PCs.  Doesn't GRUB draw a
>> nice rectangle around the edge of the screen as part of its process to
>> present the boot menu?  If yes, then this could be the cause of the OF
>> problem on the Lombard, if Lombard OF doesn't have a "draw-rectangle"
>> command.
>>
>> Is there a way to run GRUB in "text-only" mode, or equivalent?
> Open Firmware is 4.1.0f5 on the Pismo, compared to 1.0f1 on the Lombard.
>  So perhaps not surprising, the Debian SID CD boots on the Pismo.  And
> sure enough, it does draw a rectangle around the options (but's it's an
> ASCII art rectangle, so I'm not sure it's important, but I think it
> tried to open a graphical screen first).

Yes, I agree, the OpenFirmware version on the Lombard is probably simply
too old.

I don't think GRUB has a pure text-only mode, so I think you cannot disable
the calls to draw-rectangle. However, I know that Forth itself is an extensible
language, so in theory, you could probably pre-load a little Forth program
which adds the missing draw-rectangle command.

> I posted the message above to the Debian PPC list but I haven't seen any

I missed that particular message as there was a lot of noise in this discussion,
you don't need to post every single detail. It's enough to post the interesting
stuff.

> I'll do more checking today on whether Debian SID installs, and I'll post a message
> to the Debian PPC list.  But the NIC is detected and it appears that the
> installation will succeed.

Are you talking about the Lombard or the Pismo?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz