Re: Lombard booting Debian Ports 2020-04-19 (was Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19)

On 4/20/20 7:27 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, at 9:18 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> On 4/20/20 6:02 PM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Yes, I forgot to checkout the mac-support branch.  Here are the new results:
>>>
>>> root@lombard:/data/software/powerpc-utils# ./scripts/ofpathname --version
>>> ofpathname: Version 0.5
>>> Written by: Nathan Fontenot <nfont@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>>>
>>> root@lombard:/data/software/powerpc-utils# ./scripts/ofpathname /dev/sda
>>> /pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/@0
>>>
>>> root@lombard:/data/software/powerpc-utils# ./scripts/ofpathname /dev/sda1
>>> /pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/@0:1
>>
>> So the ofpathname script is working correctly on your machine as the output
>> matches the one from the ofpath script from Yaboot.
>>
>> I would suggest finding a better recordable CD and rewrite the ISO image
>> for Debian sid and test again. I assume an external drive doesn't work,
>> maybe one with SCSI?
>
> Make sure it's a CD-R, not CD+R or CD-RW or any kind of DVD.  I've got a couple of older machines that have trouble with anything but pure and simple CD-R (and won't even recognize DVDs!)
> Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks, the CD is a Verbatim CD-R (in my experience, those are the best
ones for Macs).  I tried writing it again using an external CD writer on
a different system (Wallstreet), and the new CD was also not bootable on
the Lombard.

So for now I'm stuck using Yaboot on the Lombard.  As a workaround, I am
able to start up the installer from the CD by copying its vmlinux and
initrd to the /boot directory of an old installation on the Lombard, and
then setting up Yaboot to boot from that.

Unfortunately, it is now hanging at the "Detecting network hardware"
step.  This also happened on a Wallstreet system (with the Debian CD in
an external SCSI CD drive and with vmlinux and initrd copied to Mac OS
9.2.2 for booting via BootX).

So I'm not sure why it's hanging while detecting network hardware.  I
suppose my next step will be to try to get to a log file, though I'm not
sure at this point how to do that.  Maybe I'll let it run for a while to
see if it times out.

-Stan