Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19

Hello!

On 4/20/20 6:09 AM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks for all your work on this.  I wasn't able to get the CD for PPC
> to boot on the 1999 PowerBook G3 (Lombard), which is the oldest New
> World PowerBook.

Some error messages would be nice. What's preventing the boot? Did you
try loading GRUB directly from the OpenFirmware prompt?

> I was able to re-install Debian 7.8 from CD; here are the ofpath and
> ofpathname results for the internal disk (/dev/sda).  Hopefully this
> will be helpful in getting grub to work on this system (if it isn't
> possible to get grub to work, then I can continue to use yaboot).  I
> could also re-install Debian SID from one of the pre-GRUB versions if
> you need to see the ofpath and ofpathname results from there.
>
> root@lombard:~# df /
> Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda8        8256952 1050344   6787180  14% /
>
> root@lombard:~# ofpath /dev/sda8
> /pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/@0:8
>
> root@lombard:~# ofpath /dev/sda
> /pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/@0
>
> root@lombard:~# ofpathname /dev/sda8
> /pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/scsi@0/sd@0,0
>
> root@lombard:~# ofpathname /dev/sda
> /pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/scsi@0/sd@0,0

This doesn't look like you are using the updated ofpathname version I
created but rather an outdated one.

Is that by any chance the version of ofpathname shipped in Debian
Jessie? If yes, it's not surprising that the paths reported are
not correct.

Even if your laptop is not recognized by the script, it should
at least print the path with the partition number at the end,
so I'm 99% certain you are not using the current version.

Also, in order to fix potential issues with your particular
model, I need the output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo", "dmesg",
"lsscsi -tv" and "lspci".

Thanks,
Adrian

--