Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2020-04-19

On 4/19/20 12:30 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:> ...
> These images should finally fix the installation process on Apple
> PowerMacs and PowerBooks compatible with GRUB, so basically every
> Macintosh using the New World ROM [2].
>
> One user already reported a successful installation on his PowerMac
> G5 and I expect installations to work fine on 32-bit machines, i.e.
> G3 and G4 as well. But I'm looking forward to more feedback.
>
> Another important improvement to debian-installer is that the mirror
> setup now allows to select the preferred mirror from a list instead
> having to enter that information manually. Unfortunately, there are
> only a few mirrors, namely in Germany and South Korea which can be
> chosen from. So don't be surprised that the list is short.
>
> Otherwise, the images contain the usual improvements like a new kernel
> and a fresh base system.
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
>> [1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/2020-04-19/
>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_ROM

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for all your work on this.  I wasn't able to get the CD for PPC
to boot on the 1999 PowerBook G3 (Lombard), which is the oldest New
World PowerBook.

I've reformatted the internal disk to include a 128 MB Apple_Bootstrap
partition as per one of the previous messages:

/dev/sda
        #                type name              length   base
/dev/sda1 Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
/dev/sda2      Apple_Driver43 Macintosh             54 @ 64
/dev/sda3      Apple_Driver43 Macintosh             74 @ 118
/dev/sda4    Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh             54 @ 192
/dev/sda5    Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh             74 @ 246
/dev/sda6     Apple_Bootstrap Apple_Bootstrap   262144 @ 320
/dev/sda7           Apple_HFS MacOS            4194304 @ 262464
/dev/sda8     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Debian_7        16777216 @ 4456768
/dev/sda9     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Debian_sid      33554432 @ 21233984
/dev/sda10    Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Gentoo          33554432 @ 54788416
/dev/sda11    Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Yellowdog       16777216 @ 88342848
/dev/sda12    Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap             4194304 @ 105120064
/dev/sda13    Apple_UNIX_SVR2 data           125127280 @ 109314368

I was able to re-install Debian 7.8 from CD; here are the ofpath and
ofpathname results for the internal disk (/dev/sda).  Hopefully this
will be helpful in getting grub to work on this system (if it isn't
possible to get grub to work, then I can continue to use yaboot).  I
could also re-install Debian SID from one of the pre-GRUB versions if
you need to see the ofpath and ofpathname results from there.

root@lombard:~# df /
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda8        8256952 1050344   6787180  14% /

root@lombard:~# ofpath /dev/sda8
/pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/@0:8

root@lombard:~# ofpath /dev/sda
/pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ata-3@20000/@0