Re: installing NETINST 20190127 on Mac mini G4

On 1/28/19 2:18 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
>> I don't understand this argument. GRUB works on PowerPC Macs and is
>> fully supported or am I missing something? I also works fine on SPARC
>> hardware with Sun partition tables.
>
> We implemented a switch in d-i/grub-installer that allows to install
> GRUB in the required way for non-GPT and GPT capable SPARC hardware.

Correct. We did that because GRUB requires different partitioning on
non-GPT- and GPT-capable hardware. We didn't do that to offer users
a choice.

> Theoretically something similar could be created - at a different place
> though, i.e. before the partitioning step - to support both HFS and
> FAT16 bootstrap methods in the installer for NewWorld Power Macs. I.e. a
> user decision expands the "powermac_newworld" subarch to
> "powermac_newworld_hfs" or "powermac_newworld_fat" and this information
> is (1) then used by the partitioning step to choose the required
> partitioning scheme and (2) by the bootloader installation step to
> choose the required installation method. So for sure no small
> development effort would be required.

What would be the gain of implementing this? Sure, it would be possible
to implement it. But for what particular reasons and why would it be
required for Yaboot?

> But as said, as long as nobody maintains the software (i.e. yaboot and
> HFS related stuff for the yaboot case or just the HFS related stuff for
> the GRUB case) a development effort for that isn't justified IMHO.

I didn't say anything about HFS utilities. Those certainly need to be
kept and fixed. I was merely talking about Yaboot which some people seem
to prefer over GRUB for reasons which I am yet failing to understand.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz