Re: installing NETINST 20190127 on Mac mini G4

On 1/28/19 12:34 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
I realize that this may require some programming, but would it be possible
to have it ask a question early on (maybe at or before the beginning of
partitioning) requesting the user to choose between yaboot and grub?  Then
the partitioner would automatically create the necessary partition(s) and
“install boot loader” would automatically install the chosen boot loader
conditioned on the answer to the question…

@Rick:
I thought about something like this since Mark reported the bootstrap
limits in OpenBIOS. It could in principle work similar to the switch
between non-GPT and GPT capable SPARC hardware ([1]).

[1]:
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/grub-installer/commit/8cd8db89cb1fdd554f153ec6af74d8a30c05a3be

But as long as nobody is maintaining the software this is meant to
support (i.e. yaboot and all the HFS related stuff), I don't think a
development effort is justified. Sorry. :-/

Yaboot is unmaintained upstream and does not support modern ext4 features. In
order for Yaboot to work properly, you have to turn certain features in ext4
off, otherwise it won't work and the boot fails.

Unless someone picks up maintenance work on Yaboot and makes it work with
modern ext4 versions, I don't see any particular reason to keep Yaboot.

Are there other architectures where something like this might be useful?

Why do you think should the installer support a boot loader that is known
to be buggy and unmaintained? If users insist on using Yaboot, they can
still install it manually. I do not see a point, however, to keep it in
the archive.

@Adrian:
Did you perhaps meant to write "I do not see a point, however, to
**not** keep it in the archive."? It would be unsupported though, but
users could still use yaboot and help out each other with tips and
tricks in case of problems.

Apart from the issues with "legacy" bootloaders like yaboot and SILO, I
find it still useful to have another bootloader available for
verification, e.g. in cases where bootloader A makes problems and the
verification on another bootloader B could show if this is a general
problem or a problem with bootloader A only.