Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels

On Oct 07 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 04:03:10AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > I'd be happy if it were included in non-free, if that's possible. Is
> > it?
>
> Not with the boot sector situation non-clear, but we can try it.

I hate to have to get things from anything that is not testing, which is
where my main focus is. Getting miboot in unstable would be a great step
forward.

> > I'm really quite short of time right now (preparing lots of midterms
> > and then marking them up---ugh!) to rewrite anything...
>
> Yeah, as anyone. but the code just need to be removed, or rewritten
> with 0s, i guess you could do it with dd or something :)

Humm, just removed? Doesn't it do anything useful?

> > Ok, I can be a guinea pig for the current d-i floppies, if you want
> > me to. But if they are working, why did you ask me for my own
> > .config file?  Do you still build the floppies based on 2.4 kernels?
>
> Nope, only 2.6, but i like to compare the .configs, to fine tune or as
> reference if i need to remove other stuff.

Where exactly are the things that you've done so far, so that I can test
them? I may have some spare time after the 20th of October (well, I sure
hope so).

> > > Sure, they are initrd images, i had trouble enough to squeeze them
> > > into floppies like this, can't add stuff to them, but maybe we can
> > > design a way to make them as small as possible.
> >
> > Right. I think that this may be doable.
>
> But i was not really able to squeeze more of it out, mybe because i
> include all old-world fbdevs and you use only yours ?

I'm surprised, because I'd think that having both ext2 and ext3 compiled
in the kernel would seem to be much more code than some the ow fbdevs...

> > When you wrote that, did you think of using quik to boot from a
> > floppy?  That's something that just now occurred to me.
>
> Nope, but d-i is supposed to be able to install quik so you should not
> need to worry about miboot floppies ever after, but quik is broken on
> some obscure hardware combinations, so a miboot-installer for those
> would be handy.

Indeed, quik is quite temperamental. I still have not understood
completely when it works and what I should do to make it work reliably.
:-(

> > Did you get it? There's nothing magical about it. I will, BTW, try to
> > build a newer kernel, but it seems that the compilation bombs when I
> > disable PMU support (this machine, AFAIK, only uses CUDA).
>
> Yep, same here.

Nice to know that. This means that prossibly.

> > Perhaps BenH would have any comments on this? I may, of course,
> > provide further details if desired.
>
> not had time to look at it, it is neatly archived for when the moment
> comes though.

Ok. :-)

Regards, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/