Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:17:28AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:00:44AM +0200, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> > > Nope, you need the miboot package from p.d.o/~luther/miboot, and its
> > > dependencies, and do (taken from the d-i build) :
> > >
> > >         gzip -c -9 $(TEMP_KERNEL) >$(TEMP_KERNEL).gz
> > > 	dd if=/dev/zero of=$(TEMP_BOOT) bs=1024 count=$(FLOPPY_SIZE)
> > > 	hformat -l $(DISK_LABEL) $@
> > > 	echo device $(TEMP_BOOT) > $(TEMP)/miboot.conf
> > > 	echo kernel $(TEMP_KERNEL).gz $(KERNEL_CMDL) >> $(TEMP)/miboot.conf
> > > 	miboot -c $(TEMP)/miboot.conf
> > >
> > > where TEMP_KERNEL is the patgh to the kernel, FLOPPYY_SIZE is 1440, DISK_LABEL
> > > is any random label, and TEMP_BOOT is the name of the floppy, and TEMP is some
> > > random temporary dir. and KERNEL_CMDL is the kernel command line.
> >
> > OK. I do have miboot installed, so that should not pose any problem.
> > But why would not the procedure outlined above work (I copied it from
> > one of Rogério Britos posts to the list)?
>
> Rogerio is not creating a floppy disk from scratch, he is overwriting the
> kernel on an existing miboot floppy, and can thus not set the KERNEL_CMDL
> among other stuff.

I am also operating on existing miboot floppy, so I can do it the way
Rogerio did.

> > > Just add the right root= to KERNEL_CMDL.

The boot arguments can be set with the "patch-floppy-image.pl" script.
Setting the root device at compile time is rather static, don't you
think? (Nothing bad with a default root device compile time setting
though, but for anything but an initrd that is too static to be
useful).

> > Thanks for the info, I will probably not have time to try it out until
> > the weekend though.
>
> No problem.

OK, for the first time ever I have succeeded in getting a
self-compiled kernel to boot with miboot and produce output :-) Though
I almost gave up too early, the first floppy I tried was bad, but I
thought it was the kernel (or miboot, or a combination). Luckily I
tried another floppy and there was output.

I modularized a bit too much though, so the kernel didn't do the
partition check and never found the partition to mount / on. But that
is solvable, compiling again as I write this. This time I even include
a driver for the nic and support for / on NFS. If that kernel fits the
floppy, that would be really cool IMHO.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E