Re: compliation errors under heavy load

On Jun 09 2005, Francesco Ciocchetti wrote:
> This is a 'Know Issue' ... at least is known to a lot of people,
> particularly on Gentoo because its source based distribution.

And I guess that a lot of people here in d-powerpc know it also because
that's one of the first things that BenH asks people to turn off when
they're having problems with PPC kernels.

In fact, given his advice, I have not enabled "Voluntary Preemption" nor a
"Preemptive Kernel" in recent -mm releases. I just set the standard.  Oh,
and I don't keep the 250 HZ that is new with the -mm releases. I go back to
1000 for HZ.

In fact #2, I tried once "Voluntary Preemption" with HZ of 1000 and saw
nothing different for my workload (in comparison with a kernel with any
kind of preemption enabled).

But, perhaps, it is useful for other people.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/