Re: compilation errors on PB12" under heavy load

Kasper Jordaens wrote:

>hello,
>
>the problem also occurs in console (right now I'm compiling in the
>console, it's going ok for about 30 minutes) I do have pre-emptible
>kernel enabled though.
>Recompiling a kernel is impossible because of :
>
>make all
>[...]
>LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
>mm/built-in.o(.rodata.cst4+0x0): relocation truncated to fit:
>R_PPC_ADDR32 empty_zero_page+40000000
>make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
>
>I upgraded to gcc 3.4.4 (beacuse I read upgrading might solce taht)
>but it doesn't help
>
>anyway I have pre-emptible kernel enabled
>

>any Ideas?

have you a debian provided kernel?
I Use gentoo on my ibook so i don't know anything about debian, but i
suppose that the defaul ppc kernel shoud have preemptible disabled.

What if u boot your computer without starting X at all ? it's been a
long time since i had the same problem of u and , if i remember well, i
was able to compile a kernel in console (Not at all in X).

As last resort you could ask a kernel to someone with a PB here on the
list, boot and then recompile your kernel.

Bye
P.