Re: will linus work on ppc dev now?

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 13:10 +1100, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> > It has nothing to do with IBM's involvement. In fact, if you look
> > closely at the DRI lists, you'll see some IBM folks involved ;)
>
> im not saying they arent involved. my point was more they ship ppc
> based servers - so core stability would be my goal if i was them
> not bells and whistles.
>
> > DRI for r300 is beeing worked one based on reverse engineering (paulus
> > got bzflag working nicely on his G5 the other day) . Airport Extreme is
> > a different matter, it's more complex and we all have alternate
> > solutions, so nobody is spending time of that, but you are welcome to do
> > so :)
>
> send me an airport express and then teach me some kernel coding and ill
> get to it...
>
> i would prefer someone to just sync some scanning code in for orinoco
> and make something official.

On a more serious note, how does one go about figuring out how to even
write the driver for Airport Extreme? I have made some simple kernel
modules, following the tutorial on TLDP, but not anything serious. I've
got no idea where you'd start to reverse engineer anything.

I've got an Airport Extreme, and in the coming weeks, I'm going to
finally have free time again to do my own thing, so having the
opportunity to play around with some driver development will be great
fun and at any rate, at least I'll learn something (even if it is that
kernel development is really hard :-)

Regards,
Wee-Jin

Wee-Jin Goh (Philip)
Department of Computing
School of Technology
Oxford Brookes University
Wheatley Campus
Oxford, OX33 1HX
United Kingdom
A life dedicated to things is a dead life, a stump; a God
shaped life is a flourishing tree -- Proverbs 11:28 (MSG)