Re: ***kernal panic on starting Appletalk services***

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 05:25:10PM -0800, Kim Cascone wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2005, at 5:16 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> >But that looks like lots of good news for me: It seems the system is
> >offering you to boot an "old" kernel: Did you try to type something
> >like "Linux", "old" or "Linux:old", whatever, at the prompt, and then
> >hitting <ENTER>? .... If yes: What happened ... ?
>
> yeah I was confused by what 'old' meant so I typed it in and voila
> there I was back in the same infinite loop of trying to install the
> Appletalk drivers and kernel panic...
> I'm currently able to run a live CD of Ubuntu but can't figure out how
> to get to the Linux part on my HD so I can edit the config
> file...suggestions?

Could become difficult:
I'd try to get rid of the netatalk stuff, as it seems to be
responsible for the kernel panics, or reinstall/configure it. For both
options I'd try to chroot in my system before, as described on
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/10/msg00262.html> and
then either remove or reinstall/configure the netatalk stuff ...

In short, as it's a bit late to elaborate (3:40 AM :)
If you need to remove it manually: finding the files installed with
netatalk:

dpkg -L netatalk
perhaps even some dpkg-database files ... don't know ...

dpkg -l | grep netatalk
The latter tells you what netatalk packages you have installed

Or if you need to complete the netatalk install I'd do a
dpkg -C
The latter should tell you what to do if it finds netatalk is only
partially installed ...

I'll be back only tomorrow ...

Please keep us up-to-date on what's going on if it does not work ...

Until tomorrow ...

Regards
Wolfgang

--