Re: Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially (less) broken

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 19:55, Nick Bailey wrote:

> Success on the 24-bit mode.  I found out that on this G4, append
> video=atyfb:vmode=22:cmode=24 works wonders.  Then the DefaultFbBpp line
> in the XF86Config-4 file is unnecessary (in fact, has to be removed).

Color depth in console and X are independent. In fact, anything besides
cmode=8 is a waste of video RAM and performance for console because it
only has 16 colors anyway.

>  The result is a very beautiful display, but it's very, very slow.  I
> expect you knew that.  However, since most of my programming class seem
> to spend their time gazing at the utter beauty of C source code, I'll go
> with it for now ;)

Are you using the ati driver? It should give fairly decent performance.

> I still don't know where the list of vmodes is.  In the end, tralling
> the web at random chose 22 for me.  I thought it might be in the
> XFree.org site, but not where I can see it.  I suppose it's
> apple-hardware specific, but I can't find it in their documentation
> (which is not much fun to read for a Linux geek).

It certainly doesn't have anything to do with XFree86. ;)