Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially broken

I've got a couple of critical problems with our G4 Macs
running Woody which is stopping me unleashing it on a
lab-full of final-year engineering students (who would make
quite good testers I think).  I apt-get dist-upgraded from
potato on the machine set aside for testing.

First is that the sounds in KDE are white noise.  I've seen
posted bug report about dmasound_pmac not honouring
byte-reversal requests, and I guess this is it.
Unfortuantely, I'm trying to run an audio programming lab,
and this is making things difficult to say the least 8-)

Secondly, the # key has disappeared.  Shift-3 just goes beep
(actually "shhhhhhh") on the konsole, or produces a £ in
emacs.  The keyboard has no # (or delete (as opposed to
backspace), for that matter).  Thank you very, very much
Apple.  Perhaps they don't write C programs!  Is there a
*preferred* workaround for this?  Maybe an xmodmap placed
somewhere?  Maybe I'm needing a keymap I don't know about?
(shift-3 is still # on the console logins, however)

Thridly (out of two 8-): the mouse crashes when exiting KDE.
I've not seen this in a bug report.  It's a USB one and works
fine until you exit KDE.  The remapping of F11 and F12 as the
two mouse buttons works fine too (just left the stuff in from
Potato).  I know there's a way to go yet before Woody gets
release, but I wanted to be ready 8-)

Nick/

PS: what's the command debconf invokes to build an
XF86Config-4?  It was update-config xserver or something, but
I've forgotten it, and can't find a ref to it anywhere.  Not
so bad now I've got a working X, but it was very handy to
start with.