Re: Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially broken

Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 03:58, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

Nick Bailey wrote:

Thridly (out of two 8-): the mouse crashes when exiting KDE. I've not seen this in a bug report. It's a USB one and works fine until you exit KDE. The remapping of F11 and F12 as the two mouse buttons works fine too (just left the stuff in from Potato). I know there's a way to go yet before Woody gets release, but I wanted to be ready 8-)

This is a known problem with X 4.1.0, on both PPC and ARM (little-endian, but unsigned char and framebuffer like PPC). Seems to happen with kdm and gdm (the GNOME version), and I've noticed that if I log in and log out real fast, it's fine.

Haven't seen it with gdm, does it only happen with the fbdev driver?

Must be an fbdev driver thing then.

For more detail, see http://bugs.debian.org/113022 but the best workaround I know of is to ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to the console, then alt-F7 back to X, and *dm will crash and restart itself with the mouse working. It's some funny state X gets into which makes this crash happen, and it doesn't happen otherwise, but it's convenient to make this workaround work.

At least gdm also offers an option to always restart the X server on
sesion exit, which might avoid the problem.

Cool.  Another note to add to my "debconfize gdm" wishlist bug #112066. :-)

Maybe this information will help guide someone to a fix. :-)

Unfortunately, it doesn't ring a bell beyond something obviously doesn't
get properly reset when starting the new server generation.

Okay.  Thanks for considering it.

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.