Re: Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially broken

Nick Bailey wrote:

Thridly (out of two 8-): the mouse crashes when exiting KDE. I've not seen this in a bug report. It's a USB one and works fine until you exit KDE. The remapping of F11 and F12 as the two mouse buttons works fine too (just left the stuff in from Potato). I know there's a way to go yet before Woody gets release, but I wanted to be ready 8-)

This is a known problem with X 4.1.0, on both PPC and ARM (little-endian, but unsigned char and framebuffer like PPC). Seems to happen with kdm and gdm (the GNOME version), and I've noticed that if I log in and log out real fast, it's fine.

For more detail, see http://bugs.debian.org/113022 but the best workaround I know of is to ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to the console, then alt-F7 back to X, and *dm will crash and restart itself with the mouse working. It's some funny state X gets into which makes this crash happen, and it doesn't happen otherwise, but it's convenient to make this workaround work.

Maybe this information will help guide someone to a fix. :-)

PS: what's the command debconf invokes to build an XF86Config-4? It was update-config xserver or something, but I've forgotten it, and can't find a ref to it anywhere. Not so bad now I've got a working X, but it was very handy to start with.

There should be a backup, like XF86Config-4.dpkg-bak or something like that. No such file?

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>