Re: Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially (less) broken

Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 15:12, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 03:58, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

Nick Bailey wrote:

Thridly (out of two 8-): the mouse crashes when exiting KDE. I've not seen this in a bug report. It's a USB one and works fine until you exit KDE. The remapping of F11 and F12 as the two mouse buttons works fine too (just left the stuff in from Potato). I know there's a way to go yet before Woody gets release, but I wanted to be ready 8-)

This is a known problem with X 4.1.0, on both PPC and ARM (little-endian, but unsigned char and framebuffer like PPC). Seems to happen with kdm and gdm (the GNOME version), and I've noticed that if I log in and log out real fast, it's fine.

Haven't seen it with gdm, does it only happen with the fbdev driver?

Must be an fbdev driver thing then.

Strange though; what the ... does the fbdev driver have to do with the
mouse? The only thing I can imagine is that it's somehow related to
ShadowFB, but of course reality tends to go far beyond any imagination.
:)

I dunno.

Anyway, progress report.

I have tried installing libarts from the pool, and apart from having to --autodeconfigure the -dev version, it makes no difference. Still the byte reversal problem. I will try to have a look at this just as soon as I've written some exam questions and marked some masters dissertations, but I don't know when that will be.

On the positive side, the sticking mouse has been cured. I don't know how, but it was coincident with an XFree base upgrade. The configurer asked me for the PCI slot my video card was in and I took the default. It seemed to know the rest, but it also broke the keyboard again (it changed it to using macintosh_old, probably because I'd been messing around with the config file by hand and it didn't catch up).

I have also got some sort of netscape working (actually mozilla, but only if invoked "mozilla-bin"). This is a big plus because on my Sid laptop, KMail has IMAP but on Woody Macs it hasn't, so I'd rather install Mozilla than go for a strange mixed-distribution system. Also, I expect all the students will prefer Netscape of some sort. Mozilla looks good so far, but it's strange you have to invoke it "mozilla-bin": I can't see any thing wrong in the "mozilla" script, but it just seems to suspend (never returns from the prompt, but the rest of the system responds perfectly normally)

-ves: I can't seem to work out how to get 24bit. When booted into MacOS 9, you can select "Millions of colors", but I didn't type the RAM into the XF86Config-4 file at any point and the auto-probe returns 1600K or something (I'm running at 1152xwhatever). Private colourmaps everywhere. I will fiddle with this a bit too; maybe try telling it I've got 4MB and see what happens 8-)

Thanks for all your input so far! I hope this doesn't end up as HTML: it's the first time I've used the Mozilla mailer.

Nick/.