Re: Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially (less) broken

Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 11:48, Nick Bailey wrote:
-ves: I can't seem to work out how to get 24bit. When booted into MacOS 9, you can select "Millions of colors", but I didn't type the RAM into the XF86Config-4 file at any point and the auto-probe returns 1600K or something (I'm running at 1152xwhatever). Private colourmaps everywhere. I will fiddle with this a bit too; maybe try telling it I've got 4MB and see what happens 8-)

I'm afraid that won't work. :) The 'problem' is probably that depth 24
is 32 bpp by default. Try putting FbBpp 24 in the display subsection for
depth 24.

Success on the 24-bit mode. I found out that on this G4, append video=atyfb:vmode=22:cmode=24 works wonders. Then the DefaultFbBpp line in the XF86Config-4 file is unnecessary (in fact, has to be removed). The result is a very beautiful display, but it's very, very slow. I expect you knew that. However, since most of my programming class seem to spend their time gazing at the utter beauty of C source code, I'll go with it for now ;)

I still don't know where the list of vmodes is. In the end, tralling the web at random chose 22 for me. I thought it might be in the XFree.org site, but not where I can see it. I suppose it's apple-hardware specific, but I can't find it in their documentation (which is not much fun to read for a Linux geek).

Thanks to everyone for their most helpful input on this.

Nick/