Re: Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially (less) broken

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 10:48:24AM +0000, Nick Bailey wrote:
> On the positive side, the sticking mouse has been cured.  I don't know
> how, but it was coincident with an XFree base upgrade.  The configurer
> asked me for the PCI slot my video card was in and I took the default.
> It seemed to know the rest, but it also broke the keyboard again (it
> changed it to using macintosh_old, probably because I'd been messing
> around with the config file by hand and it didn't catch up).

The question only defaults to macintosh_old under very specific
circumstances:

db_get xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/rules
if [ "$RET" = "sun" ]; then
  tsl xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/model "type5"
elif [ "$RET" = "xfree86" ]; then
  if [ "$ARCH" = "powerpc" ]; then
    MODEL=macintosh
    # good old-fashioned BRAIN DAMAGE
    if [ -e /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes ]; then
      if [ "$(cat /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes)" = "0" ]; then
        MODEL=macintosh_old
      fi
    fi
    tsl xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/model $MODEL
  else
    tsl xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/model "pc104"
  fi
fi
validate_string_db_input xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/model || debug_report_status "validate_string_db_input xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/model" "$?"

Note the "BRAIN DAMAGE" part.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      We either learn from history or,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      uh, well, something bad will