Re: XFS Install (was: HFS+ (MacOS) in contrast to EXT2 (Linux-i386))

Kevin van Haaren wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:21:37AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > Laurent de Segur wrote:
> >
> > Not my experience, when I looked more than a week ago, their FTP
> > site already had patches for early .10-pre versions.
>
> OK, I spent most of the weekend trying to get XFS and a 2.4.x kernel
> to compile.
>
> Woody has a patch for XFS.  It's against kernel 2.4.5.  There is NO
> kernel-source package for 2.4.5.  So there appears to be no way to do
> a debian package XFS kernel install at this time.

You can build kernel packages with kernel-package from any Linux tree.

> Latest version on SGI's site
> (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/index.html) is for 2.4.10-pre8
> (whoops, just double checked that and a patch for pre-10 just released
> yesterday, i'll try that next).
>
> So I downloaded 2.4.9, patched it up to 2.4.10pre8. Patched XFS in.
>
> Try compile using standard woody gcc (2.95.4).  It fails (see below
> for error)
>
> SGI's web site says XFS should be compiled using gcc 2.91.66, which
> doesn't seem to be available as a Debian package.

I built -pre5 with the current woody gcc and it works fine. I remember
having to make a minor merge manually though, you might want to try
2.4.9 .

> drivers/block/block.o: In function `rd_ioctl':
> drivers/block/block.o(.text+0x2b64): undefined reference to `__put_user_bad'
> drivers/block/block.o(.text+0x2b64): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 __
> put_user_bad

Are you using one of the PPC trees as a basis? PPC isn't fully merged
into Linus' yet AFAIK.