Re: XFS Install (was: HFS+ (MacOS) in contrast to EXT2 (Linux-i386))

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:21:37AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> Laurent de Segur wrote:
>
> > It's too bad that the XFS module (at least on ppc) is not part of the
> > pre-compiled kernel image (ReiserFS is),
>
> Not really, you still need patches (at least Alan Cox's) to use ReiserFS on
> big endian systems.
>
> > and that the XFS kernel patches lag a few kernel revs behind, making it
> > mostly obsolete by the time you have to install it on the latest 2.4 kernel
>
> Not my experience, when I looked more than a week ago, their FTP site already
> had patches for early .10-pre versions.

OK, I spent most of the weekend trying to get XFS and a 2.4.x kernel to compile.

Woody has a patch for XFS.  It's against kernel 2.4.5.  There is NO kernel-source package for 2.4.5.  So there appears to be no way to do a debian package XFS kernel install at this time.

Latest version on SGI's site (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/index.html) is for 2.4.10-pre8 (whoops, just double checked that and a patch for pre-10 just released yesterday, i'll try that next).

So I downloaded 2.4.9, patched it up to 2.4.10pre8. Patched XFS in.

Try compile using standard woody gcc (2.95.4).  It fails (see below for error)

SGI's web site says XFS should be compiled using gcc 2.91.66, which doesn't seem to be available as a Debian package.

Figuring the compiler is the issue I decided to compile with gcc 3.01 included with Woody.

Same error:
drivers/block/block.o: In function `rd_ioctl':
drivers/block/block.o(.text+0x2b64): undefined reference to `__put_user_bad'
drivers/block/block.o(.text+0x2b64): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC_REL24 __
put_user_bad

this is repeated for lo_ioctl, ide_ioctl, sd_ioctl, sr_dev_ioctl.  Then it gives me:

make[1]: *** [kallsyms] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/v2.4.9/linux-2.4.10p8'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 2
mojo:/usr/src/linux#

Anyone got any ideas on how to go about getting XFS installed?

Kevin