Re: HFS+ (MacOS) in contrast to EXT2 (Linux-i386)

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:21:37AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > Laurent de Segur wrote:
> >
> > > It's too bad that the XFS module (at least on ppc) is not part of
> > > the pre-compiled kernel image (ReiserFS is),
> >
> > Not really, you still need patches (at least Alan Cox's) to use
> > ReiserFS on big endian systems.
>
> Do the -ac kernels compile and work on ppc now?

Dunno, maybe his patches apply to e.g. benh's tree though?

> > XFS can't be merged into 2.4 because there are too many changes, but
> > it will hopefully be merged in during 2.5 .
> >
> DevFS was merged late in 2.3
> ReiserFS was merged in 2.4.1
> A mostly new VM was merged in 2.4.10pre11
>
> I think XFS and ext3 may have good chances of a merge.

ext3 maybe, but have you actually looked at an XFS patch? It replaces
half of the lowlevel filesystem code, not exactly what's supposed to
happen in a stable kernel series...

> Who can say when the major VM changes were merged into 2.3?  Wasn't
> there a lot done in 2.4-test?

Odd minor numbers (2.4.0-testx were actually rather 2.3.x) mean
development kernels, big changes are supposed to happen there.