Re: devfs support in ofpath: criteria for patches

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:04:44PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > I've been typing standard unix device names for almost 20 years, and
> > I've gotten pretty fast and handy at it.  The devfs thing is a major
> > annoyance to me, and so far I have been successful in ignoring it.
>
> you do know that devfs is 100% optional, 2.4 works just fine with
> CONFIG_FS_DEVFS=n despite popular FUD spread by some devfs
> apologists.  also despite some unnamed powerpc kernel hackers attempts
> to force the thing down our throats...
>
> > But how long will that last.  What I want to know is, what question
> > was devfs an answer to?  There must have been one, right?  Is it a

yes, and I've been opting it out ~:^)  I was just wondering if
someday it was planned to remove the option to just say 'no', like I
hear is the plan for the input layer stuff.  which isn't that bad
IMHO unless no one remembers to tell the X package maintainers about
it.  sigh.

> devfs is a solution in search of a problem.

that's what I thought.

> > posix thing?  I suppose I could research these questions myself, but
> > it's too hot outside.  ~:^)
>
> devfs as it is will probably die, 2.6 is most likely going to do
> something different.

I hope and pray it's also "better."