Re: devfs support in ofpath: criteria for patches

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:04:44PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> I've been typing standard unix device names for almost 20 years, and
> I've gotten pretty fast and handy at it.  The devfs thing is a major
> annoyance to me, and so far I have been successful in ignoring it.

you do know that devfs is 100% optional, 2.4 works just fine with
CONFIG_FS_DEVFS=n despite popular FUD spread by some devfs
apologists.  also despite some unnamed powerpc kernel hackers attempts
to force the thing down our throats...

> But how long will that last.  What I want to know is, what question
> was devfs an answer to?  There must have been one, right?  Is it a

devfs is a solution in search of a problem.

> posix thing?  I suppose I could research these questions myself, but
> it's too hot outside.  ~:^)

devfs as it is will probably die, 2.6 is most likely going to do
something different.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/