Re: Interesting "Problem"

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Russell Hires wrote:
>
> > I'm playing with the date command, trying to understand why it doesn't
> > pick up the current time/date from ntpdate/ntpd...
>
> ntpdate sometimes fails when the date is too far off. Setting the date
> manually and then running ntpdate usually works for me.
>
> > anyway, when I manually set the date, using the command "date -s 8:22" (or
> > whatever the time is) my screen resolution changes! I'm in enlightenment,
> > using a Voodoo3 card, with a pre-compiled 2.2.18 kernel.
>
> Could it be the screensaver kicking in?
>
> > I didn't think it was possible to change the resolution when you're in
> > an X environment. I don't exactly know what the resolution is that I'm
> > in to begin with, unfortunately, though I believe it's 1024x768. Is
> > there a way to tell what the current resolution is? That way I can
> > compare the resolutions when they change. Also, is there a way to change
> > the resolution in an "official" way, i.e., with a command that is
> > supposed to do that?
>
> Check out xvidtune.

Actually xvidtune only changes the timings, not the resolution.  You
have to put the different resolutions in your XF86Config file, and
you should be able to change them with Ctrl-Alt-<keypad>+
But I've never tested that on non x86 because I don't have a non-x86
computer that I run X on that has more than one resolution!