Re: Woody Impressions

Just to answer a couple of questions, I am using Ethan's mozilla .debs (thanks Ethan!), and they always open to the Mail/News reader. Which is fine for me, since I'm using it for Mail/News, but must be annoying and resource-wasting for anyone using it just to browse.

As for Netscape and Mozilla coexisting, maybe for browsing on one and mail on the other, but their mail directories are separate and summary file formats completely different (as are the address book formats, and mail filters, etc.). So they won't coexist as mail clients.

Finally, on performance, I've found it's a very strong function of the RAM on the machine. On dual-PIII 450s with 512 MB RAM at work, it flies along very quickly, no problems with anything. On the Celeron 333 laptop with 64 MB RAM, and the 603e 160 with 96 MB, everything is vastly slower. I can't account for this difference with CPU speed, since that would make the PIIIs only about twice as fast, the difference is much greater than this. ps shows it using as much as over 100 MB of RAM sometimes!!

Oh- and I also get "Can't view this page with your browser" errors!

Maybe it needs to be rebuilt with less debugging and more optimization? I haven't looked at all at Takuo's source package.

At some point I'll switch to Evolution for the vfolders (a really neat concept IMHO), and it imports NS/Moz's mbox email folders. But it doesn't yet import LDIF address books, and is really nowhere near stable enough for everyday use yet.

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>