Re: Woody Impressions

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 02:14:45PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Finally, on performance, I've found it's a very strong function of the
> RAM on the machine.  On dual-PIII 450s with 512 MB RAM at work, it flies
> along very quickly, no problems with anything.  On the Celeron 333
> laptop with 64 MB RAM, and the 603e 160 with 96 MB, everything is vastly
> slower.  I can't account for this difference with CPU speed, since that
> would make the PIIIs only about twice as fast, the difference is much
> greater than this.  ps shows it using as much as over 100 MB of RAM
> sometimes!!

mozilla seems to run about the same speed on my G3 400 with 128MB of
ram and my celery 466 with 128MB of ram to toss another figure
in.... the UI is annoyingly sluggish on both, but everything else is
acceptable.  (galeon is better though).

a pentium 166 with 96MB of ram runs it much slower, but the slowness
is again mainly centered on UI stuff, browsing isn't bad.

> Oh- and I also get "Can't view this page with your browser" errors!

never seen that.

> Maybe it needs to be rebuilt with less debugging and more optimization?
> I haven't looked at all at Takuo's source package.

its compiled --without-debug --with-optimization (or however those are
named) and with -O3 compiler optimization.  believe me, it can't be
optimized anymore then it is as far as build opts.

unless of course -O3 is bogus and harmful on powerpc... i wouldn't
know.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/