Re: Still can't get accelerated console with aty128fb!

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 01:01:05PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Renaud Dreyer wrote:
>
> > > Possible. Have you tried other depths? As the console has only 16 colors
> > > anyway, there's no point in running it at more than 8 bpp...
> >
> > I'll try that next, but I know someone on a B&W G3 (with Rage128)
> > who gets accelerated console and the same
> > " Accelerator : Unknown (32)", but at lower than 32 bit.
>
> Maybe he was running in 24bpp, but you are in 32, or vice versa? Most gfx
> chips only support full acceleration in one of those formats.

that would be me that Renaud is refering to in case its useful to
anyone here is the same info from my system:

[eb@socrates eb]$ su -c 'fbset -s -v ; fbset -i'
Password:
Linux Frame Buffer Device Configuration Version 2.1 (23/06/1999)
(C) Copyright 1995-1999 by Geert Uytterhoeven

Opening frame buffer device `/dev/fb0'
Using current video mode from `/dev/fb0'

mode "1024x768-75"
    # D: 78.740 MHz, H: 60.015 kHz, V: 75.019 Hz
    geometry 1024 768 1024 768 8
    timings 12700 158 34 28 1 96 3
    hsync high
    vsync high
    accel true
    rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
endmode

mode "1024x768-75"
    # D: 78.740 MHz, H: 60.015 kHz, V: 75.019 Hz
    geometry 1024 768 1024 768 8
    timings 12700 158 34 28 1 96 3
    hsync high
    vsync high
    accel true
    rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
endmode

Frame buffer device information:
    Name        : ATY Rage128
    Address     : 0x88000000
    Size        : 16777216
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : PSEUDOCOLOR
    XPanStep    : 8
    YPanStep    : 1
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 1024
    MMIO Address: 0x80900000
    MMIO Size   : 8191
    Accelerator : Unknown (32)

i have to turn accel on manually after bootups with
fbset -a -accel True but i really don't notice any significant
difference between the two, the screen shimmers slightly and sometimes
blanks for a second when i do though so it seems to do something...

btw does anyone know how to change this fscking blinking block cursor
to a regular _ like we have on intel VGA consoles? (and change
powersave times)

one piticularly annoying thing I have with this framebuffer is almost
everytime i switch VCs (i dont run X BTW) the screen goes black for
about 2 or 3 seconds and then fades back in...

--
Ethan Benson