Re: Still can't get accelerated console with aty128fb!

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Renaud Dreyer wrote:
> > Renaud Dreyer wrote:
> > > Frame buffer device information:
> > >     Name        : ATY Rage128
> > >     Address     : 0x84000000
> > >     Size        : 16777216
> > >     Type        : PACKED PIXELS
> > >     Visual      : DIRECTCOLOR
> > >     XPanStep    : 8
> > >     YPanStep    : 1
> > >     YWrapStep   : 0
> > >     LineLength  : 5120
> > >     MMIO Address: 0x80800000
> > >     MMIO Size   : 8191
> > >     Accelerator : Unknown (32)
> > >
> > > Is the "Accelerator: Uknown (32)" a sign of problems?
> >
> > Indeed.
> >
> > > maybe there's no acceleration at 32 bit?
> >
> > Possible. Have you tried other depths? As the console has only 16 colors
> > anyway, there's no point in running it at more than 8 bpp...
>
> I'll try that next, but I know someone on a B&W G3 (with Rage128)
> who gets accelerated console and the same
> " Accelerator : Unknown (32)", but at lower than 32 bit.

The `32' has nothing to do with the color depth, see include/linux/fb.h:

#define FB_ACCEL_ATI_RAGE128    32      /* ATI Rage128 family           */

Fbset just doesn't recognize the ATI Rage128 yet.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org

							    -- Linus Torvalds