Still can't get accelerated console with aty128fb!

I'm running Debian on a PowerMac 7300 with a Rage Orion video card.
>From the moment I finished installing Debian (things were fast
*while* I was installing), I've been plagued with a very slow console.
Horizontal scrolling is slowish, but vertical scrolling is
*extremely* slow, as is painfully obvious while using dselect. I have
no problem with accelerated X (Xpmac.rage128), which is very fast.

I tredi to solve the problem the following way:

*Compiled and installed Paul's stable 2.2.15pre7 kernel, which I
believe includes Ben's latest aty128fb patch.

*Booted with No Video Driver unchecked, and kernel arguments:

video=aty128fb:vmode:20,cmode:32

*Typed fbset -a -accel True in the console

Well, my console is still as sluggish as ever. Is there any way out
of this?  What especailly mystifies me is that my console was fast
enough while installing, but only slowed down when I finished
installing (quit deselect). What magic tric can I perform to go back
to a fast console, and what screwed it up? Thanks,

         Renaud