Re: Still can't get accelerated console with aty128fb!

> Renaud Dreyer wrote:
>
> > Frame buffer device information:
> >     Name        : ATY Rage128
> >     Address     : 0x84000000
> >     Size        : 16777216
> >     Type        : PACKED PIXELS
> >     Visual      : DIRECTCOLOR
> >     XPanStep    : 8
> >     YPanStep    : 1
> >     YWrapStep   : 0
> >     LineLength  : 5120
> >     MMIO Address: 0x80800000
> >     MMIO Size   : 8191
> >     Accelerator : Unknown (32)
> >
> > Is the "Accelerator: Uknown (32)" a sign of problems?
>
> Indeed.
>
> > maybe there's no acceleration at 32 bit?
>
> Possible. Have you tried other depths? As the console has only 16 colors
> anyway, there's no point in running it at more than 8 bpp...

I'll try that next, but I know someone on a B&W G3 (with Rage128)
who gets accelerated console and the same
" Accelerator : Unknown (32)", but at lower than 32 bit.

This seems hopeless but the fact that I had a fast console while
bootstrapping and installing Debian leads me to believe this IS
possible! Would anyone know what kind of console is used by the
installer? When I installed, I booted with a ramdisk, using bootX
with No Video Driver from Mac OS under millions of colors and I still
got a fast console... until the installation got finished and I quit
dselect. If I could only find out under what conditions the console
used to be fast, I'd be in business. Thanks foir the hwlp.

         Renaud