Re: Please add auto-forwarding feature to BTS (was: Directing Debian users to use project BTSes - should we?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:56:16PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> My only concern with this proposal is as follows: what happens if both
> maintainer and upstream try to fix the same bug?

That's a risk in any case -- upstream may have discovered the bug on
their own, or may have had it reported from a different source.  The
only way to avoid this risk is to establish good communication
channels with upstream.

In any case, I think the idea is that this can be used when the Debian
maintainer is MIA or just not keeping up with the job of forwarding or
fixing bugs.  Otherwise, I can't imagine that upstream would *want*
all Debian bugs, since many are Debian-specific or packaging-related.

I think it's not a bad idea in concept, though I can't comment on its
practicality.  But I do suspect we could find other solutions in this
particular case (Abiword), like persuading Gecko to solicit help if he
can't keep up at the moment.

(I don't think we can offer any help for Abiword's problem with Suse,
but it would be nice to convince them that we're different, and
perhaps more trustworthy.  Which they obviously won't believe at the
moment.)
--
Chris Waters      |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org  |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single