Re: Directing Debian users to use project BTSes - should we?

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 11:54:31PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 01:20:56AM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 05:25:15PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> > > You wouldn't have to do that if your downstream maintainer were doing his
> > > job properly and forwarding the bugs to you.
>
> > But the problem is that we have so many downstream maintainers.
> > AbiWord is distributed by every major distribution, plus it's a part
> > of GNOME, and of Ximian GNOME.  So that's about 10 different BTSs, and
> > 10 sources of bug reports and patches.
>
> > Fun.  Not.
>
> *sigh*  What we have here is a failure to communicate.
>
> If the bug is forwarded properly, it WILL be in your bug tracking
> system.  So, what's the big deal?  You don't have to care whether or
> not we also have it in ours, and if we have it in ours, it's
> convenient for our users (and for us).  You can IGNORE OUR BTS
> COMPLETELY!  But we STILL want to have the bug on file in our system!
> Among other things, we use our BTS to decide if we're ready to release
> a new system, and if important bugs aren't stored there, that breaks
> the whole release mechanism.
>
> Now, if the maintainer doesn't do his job properly, and doesn't
> forward the bugs to your BTS, that's another issue, and something you
> may want to take up with the Debian community at large.  If it's a
> severe enough problem, we may be able to arrange to have someone more
> competent take over the package.
>
> But otherwise, just keep the hell out of our BTS, buddy!  :-) :-)
>
> It's no different than if I, personally, started keeping my own list
> of bugs in your program.  And if Fred down the street did the same.
> As long as Fred and I forward any new bugs we discover to you, you
> just plain don't care.  Ditto for Debian's BTS.  To be honest, it's
> probably not really any of your business whether I or Fred or Debian
> keeps a list of bugs.
>
> (I also don't understand the comment about "that's 10 sources of bug
> reports and patches."  Without 3rd-party BTS's like Debian's you'd
> have far MORE sources of reports and patches, i.e. all the individual
> users.  Are you saying that 10 is too few???)

Count of AbiWord bugs in Debian BTS: 59
Number forwarded to AbiWord developers by maintainer: 1

Both the GNOME and Ximian BTSs are down at the moment, but the last
time I checked, there were about 100 in the GNOME one, and about 50 in
the Ximian one.
Number forwarded to AbiWord developers: 0

Bugs in RedHat Bugzilla: 4
Number forwarded to AbiWord developers: 0

So, while Debian is doing better than average here, that isn't saying
much.

So, I wouldn't be advocating change if I thought the current system
had a chance in hell of working.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/