Re: Directing Debian users to use project BTSes - should we?

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 02:28:09AM -0600, Sam TH wrote:

> Count of AbiWord bugs in Debian BTS: 59
> Number forwarded to AbiWord developers by maintainer: 1

Hey, at least the Debian BTS is public.  I have my own private list of
bugs for Abiword, and it's none of your business what's on it!  :-)

Seriously, you should complain to the maintainer.  But the fact
remains that we need to have the bugs in our BTS for our own purposes.

Anyway, I only see twenty bugs against abiword, *two* of which have
been forwarded, at least three have to do with the Debian packaging,
and four are wishlist.  I also see five closed bugs.  I see two bugs
against abiword-common, both Debian-specific, two against
abiword-expat, one of which is Debian-specific, and one against
abiword-xml.  That doesn't even come close to adding up to 59, even if
I grant all the Debian-specific ones *and* the closed ones.  Where are
you looking?

Also, at a rough estimate, at least five of the real bugs against
abiword in our BTS are the same issue: bad non-iso8859-1 handling.

> So, I wouldn't be advocating change if I thought the current system
> had a chance in hell of working.

Have you tried?  Have you asked?  Have you yelled and screamed?

We got flamed left, right, blued and tattooed not too long ago by the
xemacs folks for exactly the *opposite* problem not too long ago.
Apparently we can't win no matter what we do.  Well, I'm sorry, but we
have a QA process too, y'know, and it's subverted by not getting bug
reports just as badly as yours is.

Bottom line is that Debian package maintainers are *supposed* to
forward bug reports.  I know that I do.  If someone isn't then he
isn't doing his job, and he should be chastised, and if he persists,
then maybe he shouldn't be maintaining so many packages (or
something).  But nothing's perfect -- heck, some days, I discover bugs
in random programs, and then forget to report them to *anyone*.
Claiming that our whole system is broken, just because it's not
perfect is unreasonable, even if you have been suffering more than
your share of our imperfections recently.

Let's try to work this out like grownups, ok?

cheers
--
Chris Waters      |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org  |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single