Re: Directing Debian users to use project BTSes - should we?

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 01:20:56AM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 05:25:15PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > You wouldn't have to do that if your downstream maintainer were doing his
> > job properly and forwarding the bugs to you.

> But the problem is that we have so many downstream maintainers.
> AbiWord is distributed by every major distribution, plus it's a part
> of GNOME, and of Ximian GNOME.  So that's about 10 different BTSs, and
> 10 sources of bug reports and patches.

> Fun.  Not.

*sigh*  What we have here is a failure to communicate.

If the bug is forwarded properly, it WILL be in your bug tracking
system.  So, what's the big deal?  You don't have to care whether or
not we also have it in ours, and if we have it in ours, it's
convenient for our users (and for us).  You can IGNORE OUR BTS
COMPLETELY!  But we STILL want to have the bug on file in our system!
Among other things, we use our BTS to decide if we're ready to release
a new system, and if important bugs aren't stored there, that breaks
the whole release mechanism.

Now, if the maintainer doesn't do his job properly, and doesn't
forward the bugs to your BTS, that's another issue, and something you
may want to take up with the Debian community at large.  If it's a
severe enough problem, we may be able to arrange to have someone more
competent take over the package.

But otherwise, just keep the hell out of our BTS, buddy!  :-) :-)

It's no different than if I, personally, started keeping my own list
of bugs in your program.  And if Fred down the street did the same.
As long as Fred and I forward any new bugs we discover to you, you
just plain don't care.  Ditto for Debian's BTS.  To be honest, it's
probably not really any of your business whether I or Fred or Debian
keeps a list of bugs.

(I also don't understand the comment about "that's 10 sources of bug
reports and patches."  Without 3rd-party BTS's like Debian's you'd
have far MORE sources of reports and patches, i.e. all the individual
users.  Are you saying that 10 is too few???)

cheers
--
Chris Waters      |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org  |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single