Re: [RFD]: Question regarding actions to take on --purge of a package.

At Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:03:27 -0600 (CST),
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:

> Is data created during the running of a package removable upon purging?
> Policy is unclear on this.  I think it should not remove data that was created
> during runtime, as other packages(and also localy installed software) may be
> reading it.

Policy 3.1.1.1 says:

4.8. Log files
 (snip)
     Make sure that any log files are removed when the package is purged
     (but not when it is only removed), by checking the argument to the
     `postrm' script (see the _Debian Packaging Manual_ for details).

So, log files, such as /var/log/apache, should be removed.
If you need to keep log files, I think you don't purge, but remove
the package.

> At least pkgs that do this should prompt.

Hm, it might be good idea.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI