Re: Perl packages LIE - Depends: perl (>= 5.8

Dariush Pietrzak <eyck@forumakad.pl> writes:

> Source: libxml-mini-perl
> Section: perl
> Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper (>= 4), perl (>= 5.8.0-7)
> Maintainer: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
> Standards-Version: 3.5.10

>  This is still strange, why is perl >= 5.8.0-7 supposed to be needed to
> build this, but not neccessary to run...

Oh, you're talking about the build dependency.  Sorry, should have checked
that.

>  Identical control files can be found in Crypt::CBC and RPC::XML, could it
> be that this is artifact of some dev tool?

dh-make-perl adds that dependency.  I think it has a reason for doing
that, though, probably for packaging reasons to make sure the normal build
rules put things in the right place.

Dependencies are intended to ensure that the right things happen within
the *Debian* packaging context; they're not just for compatibility of the
package itself with particular versions of Perl.  In particular, if there
are Debian-specific fixes to ExtUtils::MakeMaker for FHS compliance or the
like, Debian Perl packages may depend on the first version of Perl with
those fixes, even if the actual Perl code would work with a far earlier
version of Perl.

But yeah, they make backports annoying.  Hopefully that will become a much
simpler problem in a month or so with a new Debian stable release.