Re: Perl packages LIE - Depends: perl (>= 5.8

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 05:11:10PM +0200, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
> Where does this tendency to lie comes from?
>  this undermines reliability and honesty of dependancy system, one
> cannot trust this system if it's so widely abused. Why do poeple do that?
>  AFAIK another such wide-spread lie in dependancy system is the one about
> libc, IIRC there is good ( for some at least ) reason for that - something
> to do with forcing update to newer libc, which otherwise everyone would
> just ignore.
>
>   Where does this perl (>= 5.8) come from then?

The Debian packaging system exists to serve its own needs - to make sure
that things get installed such that they work properly, which is exactly
the reason that these dependencies exist on particular libc and Perl
versions.

Any C-based Perl package that is built with Perl 5.8 must depends on
Perl 5.8.  In fact, there are occassionally bugs where we need to depend
speficially even on a sub-release of Perl due to (inadvertent) binary
interface changes. This is the case with, for example,
libhtml-parsr-perl.

Then, quite a few commonly-used "external" Perl modules (Memoize,
Scalar::Util, to name two) are provided directly by the perl-base
package rather than by external packages.  This is the reason that
packages such as libxml-twig-perl have a dependency on Perl 5.8.

My advice: you'll get further if you work a little on phrasing emails to
be questions rather than accusations.  Now that you've managed to imply
that we're all liars, I'm inclined to assume the worst about you (and
you're destined for my killfile if you keep it up).

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>