Re: Perl packages LIE - Depends: perl (>= 5.8

Dariush Pietrzak <eyck@forumakad.pl> writes:

> What I find disturbing that there are often dependencies without a
> reason for them, for example XML::Mini - very simple perl-only module,
> that works very well under earlier perls just fine. In fact I've got ~60
> modules around here that I rebuild for woody's perl by downgrading this
> false dependancy on 5.8.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Package: libxml-mini-perl
Section: perl
Installed-Size: 228
Maintainer: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.2.8-1
Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16)
Filename: pool/main/libx/libxml-mini-perl/libxml-mini-perl_1.2.8-1_all.deb
Size: 64978
MD5sum: 41edf9e1420f67155b92187a9de76764
 XML::Mini is a set of Perl classes that allow you to access
 XML data and create valid XML output with a tree-based hierarchy of
 elements.
 .
 It provides an easy, object-oriented interface for manipulating XML
 documents and their elements. It is currently being used to send
 requests and understand responses from remote servers in Perl
 applications.
 .
 XML::Mini does not require any external libraries or modules and is pure Perl.

Where's the dependency on Perl 5.8?

Note that essentially all Perl packages in Debian will depend on at least
Perl *5.6* for packaging-related reasons, so that they'll install in the
right place.  That sort of constraint is unavoidable when you need to be
able to support Perl module builds as cleanly as Debian does.