Re: Perl packages LIE - Depends: perl (>= 5.8

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 01:42:23PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Dariush Pietrzak <eyck@forumakad.pl> writes:
> >  Identical control files can be found in Crypt::CBC and RPC::XML, could it
> > be that this is artifact of some dev tool?
>
> dh-make-perl adds that dependency.  I think it has a reason for doing
> that, though, probably for packaging reasons to make sure the normal build
> rules put things in the right place.

perl (5.8.0-7) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release.
  * NOTE: this release breaks binary compatability with previous
    versions of perl.  Users will need to upgrade to newer versions of
    binary module packages (if/when available) and re-build any
    locally installed modules.

Making sure that all the build daemons build with versions that have the
same binary-compatibility characteristics is necessary.

Build-dependencies are often far more to ensure that build daemons do
the right thing than directly for the benefit of users. If we wanted to
add something with the semantics of "you can build with these packages
installed, as long as you never plan to upload it to the Debian
archive", it would have to be called something else. (It would also be a
lot more work.)