Re: Perl packages LIE - Depends: perl (>= 5.8

> Any C-based Perl package that is built with Perl 5.8 must depends on
> Perl 5.8.  In fact, there are occassionally bugs where we need to depend
> speficially even on a sub-release of Perl due to (inadvertent) binary
 This if fine and OK. That's what we've got dependencies mechanism for.
What I find disturbing that there are often dependencies without a reason
for them, for example XML::Mini - very simple perl-only module, that works
very well under earlier perls just fine. In fact I've got ~60 modules
around here that I rebuild for woody's perl by downgrading this false
dependancy on 5.8.

> package rather than by external packages.  This is the reason that
> packages such as libxml-twig-perl have a dependency on Perl 5.8.
 Once again, this is fine and OK, and this is what we've got denpendancies
system for.
 But this system brakes down when 99% of dependencies declared in package
have no need, it seems like dependencies system turned into 'hey, I built
this on my machine, and my machine is Pentium 4 2500Mhz, and it works.
Don't try it on anything else'.

> be questions rather than accusations.
 I thought I did exactly that.

> that we're all liars, I'm inclined to assume the worst about you (and
 You're free to do that, and so is anyone else. Good luck.

> you're destined for my killfile if you keep it up).
 Have you heard about constructive critic?
If you would prefer only good things about yourself, just let me know.
In my eyes I'm providing grumpy service to this community, if it's not
wanted - hey, all the better, it's not like I've got nothing better to do.

--
Dariush Pietrzak,
Key fingerprint = 40D0 9FFB 9939 7320 8294  05E0 BCC7 02C4 75CC 50D9